Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The Washing Machine


It's amazing how busy life can get and you take for granted the little things. 
Yesterday, I had my day all planned out and then one thing can make it all change. Looking back, it's not a big deal. It's just a washing machine...ugh. I am grateful I have a washer and dryer in my house and don't have to lug clothes to the Laundromat. I am grateful I don't have to take the clothes to the river and beat them on the rocks to wash them. I like the convenience of having the ability to do the laundry here while I am doing other things. I like multi-tasking! 
Here's what happened...as I was thinking I was going to put the clothes in the dryer I noticed the clothes still seemed wet and were not against the side of the tub. I thought I would just send them through the spin cycle again. It seemed like a simple solution. Not so fast...the tub didn't spin and the clothes didn't move. Well, that's not good. Now what?!? 
I called Matt to get his advice. The washer and dryer are now 13 years old. What to do? He said (heavy sigh) we should just replace them and I should start looking online. So, I searched. ($$$) I also searched for "washing machine tub not spinning." The new washers and dryers are pretty pricey if you want one with all the bells and whistles (and really, who wouldn't want that?!?) Apparently this is a common problem and there are video tutorials on how to fix it. I started to think I could do this! I just need the right tools to remove the back panel so I could access the inside. (Thinking back about this, I must have had a moment of insanity. I have absolutely no clue how to do this but the tutorial made it sound so easy!)
Thinking ahead, if I were to try to fix this myself, I was going to need a part. So I searched for an appliance part store in the area. Luckily, I found a place that not only sold the parts, they also came out and fixed them. Well, I did the smart thing and called them to fix the washer. The technician came the same day and fixed it for way less than purchasing a new washer and dryer. I was thrilled and I was back in business!!
Even though I didn't get everything on my list done for the day, I still felt a sense of accomplishment. I had the washer fixed and saved us from a big purchase. I am grateful for that. 
I am grateful for my washer working today. 
I am grateful to be doing laundry while I am doing other things.
Now, if I would have just remembered to plug in the crockpot so dinner would have cooked all day...but that's other story....

1 comment:

  1. Thank you to my incredible, smart, beautiful wife for saving us some money! She asked the repairman how long the washer should last and he said that it should last another 7 years! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete