Search This Blog

Monday, April 15, 2013

Be Careful What You Wish For

Something strange occurred to me this weekend as I was in the backyard. (And I'm not talking about the lizard that ran right by my face as I was pulling a weed next to the downspout...almost had a heart attack!) The strange thing was I recalled a conversation I had with a friend about how someday I would love to live where I can actually grow a lemon tree in my yard. This conversation probably happened on a bleak, gray, freezing cold January day in Michigan while I was longing for sunshine and warmth. This weekend, I recalled saying it...as I was standing in my backyard looking at my lemon tree. I said it and it came to pass...be careful what you wish for, as our words are more powerful than you may think!

So, here I am, living in a place where I not only can grow a lemon tree, I actually do have one in my backyard and it has about eight tiny little lemons on it...and I'm really excited about it!! 

As a family, we decided to venture into gardening this year. Adjusting to the growing seasons in the south for this mid-western girl has been a bit of a learning curve. Everything gets planted so much earlier. (Last year I was buying annuals on Groundhog Day and planting in mid-February)

Not only do we have a lemon tree, we also have six strawberry plants, three tomato plants (a few tomatoes are already growing), two pepper plants, basil, cilantro, a watermelon plant, and a  cantaloupe plant. (Those last two were Matt's idea. I hope they produce some great fruit!)

Let's hope this family has a green thumb!

No comments:

Post a Comment